The Minnesota Soybean Processors (MnSP) has invested in Ontario, Canada-based Altranex Corporation and entered a license and marketing agreement for renewable lubricant base oils, waxes, diesel and other products using soybean oil as feedstock. The biorefinery will use Altranex’s patented electrolysis process.
Altranex is currently building a pilot biorefinery in Ontario that will produce 1 ton/day of Altra-BASE (lubricant base oil) and ALtra-DZL (renewable diesel). The pilot facility twill demonstrate the scale-up of the Altranex’s bench demonstration. Engineering and construction of the pilot plant is expected to begin in early 2017, with a start-up by Fall 2017.
The pilot in Ontario will be operated by Altranex using several different feedstocks. It will then be delivered to MnSP in Brewster, Minnesota, where it will be operated by MnSP as Altranex designs and build a 100 ton/day production facility in partnership with MnSP.
MnSP is a farmer-owned cooperative that operates a 3,300 ton/day soybean crush facility and biodiesel refinery that produces 30 million gal/year. The 100 ton/day facility will be owned and operated by MnSP under license from Altranex.
In a separate news, the United Soybean Board’s soy checkoff program released its latest Soy Products Guide where 29 new soy-based products have been developed to replace petrochemicals and help manufacturers meet sustainability objectives.
Products developed with checkoff support in 2015 include an insulating foam that helps green building contractors earn LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification, soy-based adhesives that replace formaldehyde without compromising quality, lubricants and solvents that reduce reliance on petrochemicals, and rubber belting that farmers can use in their equipment.
- Best Rest Eco Lux™ – a soy-foam mattress by Best Rest USA
- HeatLox XT™ – insulating foam for buildings by Demilec, Inc.
- U-Pack 5310™ – foam-in-place packaging foam by WFI
- GlobalUCore+™ – foam used to insulate plastic window frames by WFI Global
- WCCO Conveyor Belt – soy-and-rubber belting by WCCO Belting, Inc.
- Natural Environmental Barrier® – a new coating by Green Eagle Technologies
- ProSoy 7460™ – a soy-protein-based pigment binder for water-based flexographic and gravure inks by Applied Protein Systems
- SOYAD Adhesive™ – an adhesive used in the manufacture of hardwood plywood by Solenis
- Acous-Tec Adhesive™ – an adhesive used to manufacture acoustic panels by W. F. Taylor
- ProSoy 4410™ – a soy-protein-based adhesive for paper substrates by Applied Protein Systems
- ProSoy 4315™ – a soy-based additive that can replace phenol formaldehyde in wood adhesives by Applied Protein Systems
- ProSoy 5452™ – a soy-protein-based binder and additive for paper and paperboard coatings by Applied Protein Systems
- ProSoy 5820™ – a lower cost soy-based binder and additive for paper and paperboard coatings Applied Protein System
- Elevance Clean™ 1000 – a solvent for industrial formulations by Elevance Renewable Sciences
- Elevance Clean™ 1200 – a solvent for industrial formulations by Elevance Renewable Sciences
- STEPOSOL SB-W® – a solvent for degreasing that also acts as a lubricating agent by STEPAN Company
- STEPOSOL SB-D® – a solvent for degreasing by STEPAN Company
- Elevance Concert GC-350™ – a processing aid for lithium grease manufacture by Elevance Renewable Sciences
- Soy Lube SL 100™ – a soy-based lubricant by BioKleen
- BioLube SD™ – a soy-based lubricant by Synalloy and Manufacturers Chemicals LLC
OTHER INDUSTRIAL OPPORTUNITIES
- Me-Pro™ – a soy-based aquaculture feed by Prairie Aquatech
- Me-Pro Plus™ – an enhanced soy-based aquaculture feed by Prairie Aquatech
- PETROSTEP Q-50S® – a down-hole corrosion inhibitor for oil wells by STEPAN Company
- NatureWax® – premium candle wax by Elevance Renewable Sciences
- Elevance Soft CG-100® – emollients for personal care products by Elevance Renewable Sciences
- Elevance Smooth CS-100® – a film-forming material for personal care products by Elevance Renewable Sciences
- Defoamer Soy™ – a defoaming agent by Synalloy and Manufacturers Chemicals LLC
- Defoamer Eco Care™ – a defoaming agent by Synalloy and Manufacturers Chemicals LLC
- American Soybean Wax™ – a candle-making staple by Swan Creek Candle Company