Company initiatives, Environment, Partnership, Products, Recycle, Video

Apparel recycling updates

This is a bit late news but well worth posting. Adidas announced in late June that it has partnered with Parley for the Oceans – an organization in which creators, thinkers and leaders come together to raise awareness about the state of the oceans and collaborate on projects that can protect and conserve them. Adidas is a founding member and intends to support its comprehensive Ocean Plastics Program that intends to end plastic pollution of the oceans.

Adidas said it has created a world first shoe upper made entirely of yarns and filaments reclaimed and recycled from ocean waste and illegal deep-sea gillnets. Parley’s partner organization, Sea Shepherd, retrieved the nets after a 11o-day expedition tracking an illegal poaching vessel, which culminated off the coast of West Africa.

The partnership is looking to reveal their consumer-ready ocean plastic products later this year. Adidas is also looking to co-create new fabrics from ocean plastic waste, which will be gradually but constantly integrated into their products.

Adidas said it aims to work closely with Parley on communication and education such as engaging consumers, athletes, artists, designers, actors, musicians, scientists and environmentalists to raise their voice and contribute their skills for the ocean cause.

The company reported that it has drastically increased its recycled polyester fabric in apparel products with consumption of roughly 11 million yards by the end of 2014. Additionally, Adidas decided to phase out the use of plastic bags in its own retail stores, which will start in 2016.

In a separate recycling news, Levi Strauss & Co. expanded its clothing recycling initiative to all Levi’s mainline and outlet stores in the US. Consumers may drop off any brand of clean, dry clothing or shoes in the collection boxes at their local Levi’s store. Any consumer who brings an item of clothing to recycle will receive a voucher for 20% off a single, regular-priced Levi’s item in-store.

According to the company, Americans discard more than 28 billion pounds of unwanted clothing, shoes and other textiles annually. Charitable organizations and others collect roughly 15% of these items, while the remaining 85% – 24 billion pounds, end up in landfills.

Also check out the blog’s recent posts on P&G’s recycled packaged bottles initiative and Coca-Cola’s partnership on EKOCYCLE  brand.

About Doris de Guzman

Will Green Chemistry save the world or is it hype? Doris de Guzman examines alternative processing, new technology, R&D and other sustainability initiatives aimed at preventing pollution; replacing ingredients; and using renewable feedstocks in Green Chemistry. She has been covering the oleochemicals market for 15 years and spread her beat to inorganics, biofuels and green chemistry.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Your thoughts?

Confirm if you are currently a subscriber to Tecnon OrbiChem's Bio-Materials newsletter. If not, please contact doris@greenchemicalsblog.com.

TECNON ORBICHEM BIO-MATERIALS SERVICE



TECNON ORBICHEM IS ATTENDING THESE EVENTS

Follow me on Twitter

%d bloggers like this: